Sunday 25 November 2007

What type of blog are you?

The other day, I happened to be thinking about blogs. Not any particular blog, but generally; along the lines of "What does a blog say about the person who writes it?" Hmmm, interesting question! Does one's blog reflect one's personality? Does it even make sense to try and relate a blog with its author's mindset?

Let's try to understand what exactly a blog is, and maybe we can then come up with an answer to that question. The word blog is a contraction of the original word weblog which itself was originally two words - web log - and which meant something like a journal of events that happened in one's life. Of course, a blog has now expanded to mean something much more than a mere journal of events. People vent their thoughts about certain topics, review products, movies and the like, and some go so far as to rant about their pet peeves. In fact, a blog can be used - and is being used - to say just about anything that crosses your mind, including how much you hate that person / object / idea. It taks all kinds to make the blogosphere!

Many of the blogs that I read fairly frequently concern themselves with their authors' thoughts about many things - people, traditions, movies, cultures, sports: you name it! As such, one can begin to get an idea of the mind of the blogger, however inaccurate that may be. Let me analyse my own blog, and see where it leads.

Regular readers of my blog - a rare species, unless I'm happily mistaken ;-) - will notice a particular style of writing: often reflective, preachy at times, and occasionally presumptuous. In fact, if you take a guess and say that I'm not exactly sociable, you won't be far off the mark, really! If you just did that, and you didn't know me before, then congrats; you've proved what I suspected was possible: it's possible to deduce what kind of a person a blogger is by looking at his / her blog!

To paraphrase, tell me what your blog is about, and I'll tell you who you are ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment