Sunday 4 November 2007

The Tamizh Practical Idealist!

A recent online conversation between a friend of mine and me:

R: when r u leaving ???
Me: next sunday
R: kool
here for diwali??? ok..kool
Me: deepavali
R: next sunday what time??
Me: kaarthaala
R: [husband]'s nov fest concert is next sunday
Me: around 9 or so
R: we were just talkin about u yday
Me: all good, I hope ;)
R:[my husband] wanted to give u a cd
of his with anil and sikkil gurucharan
Me: all cds welcome :-)
Me:is he in town? for how long?
R: he will be here until diwali
M: deepavali

Am I really going crazy about Tamizh? Or is it the purist in me who doesn't want to mix Hindi words with Tamizh? I don't know, but every time I hear a Tamizh friend saying "Diwali," I visibly frown in disapproval. Call me regionalistic, if you will, but I'm a stickler for using Tamizh words in Tamizh conversation where possible.

5 comments:

  1. happy to see some regionalism in some souls atleast
    oflate i hav been findin it extremely disturbin to see tamil n tamil nadu being ignored everywher
    n i wish ther is sumway to boost sum regionalism into ma fellow beings to prevent d dying of ma culture

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment.

    Just to be clear, I'm not for regionalism at all; I'd howevr like people to respect their mother tongue, that's all. Thamizh-a mother tongue-a vechindu, "Diwali"-nu sonnaa, rombave kaduppaa irukku!

    ReplyDelete
  3. DEEPAVALI, it is!! I insist on this point too.
    Oh, btw- "Deepavali" is Sanskrit and not Thamizh. *grin*
    -Viji

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Viji. And well, Sanskrit and Thamizh are olden languages, not merely old, so the word being of Sanskrit origin is all right. :-)

    ReplyDelete