Friday 8 September 2006

Sick of "on-site"

These days, it seems that all a colleague can ask you in the course of a discussion about one's job is, "Any on-site chances?" Now, that makes me not only sick but angry as hell! I mean, come on guys, success in a career is not dependent upon the number of times you travel outside your country.

Just for the record, I really like travelling and would love to see new places, people, etc., but that doesn't mean that I am dying to go on-site if the work there is not something I'd enjoy doing. And I won't certainly threaten to quit if I'm not sent on-site; I've got a little bit of professionalism left!

We all join companies with the basic premise that there's going to be something interesting for us to do. Apparently, that's not so for certain people: for them, "it's all money, honey!" One of the main reasons they want to go abroad is the opportunity to add significantly - by way of foreign currency - to their monthly earnings. Yuck! It stinks, and sickens me. I even wonder at times whether I am dirtying myself by being in the same industry as these self-cheapened people. Maybe I should move on elsewhere...

2 comments:

  1. maybe you should just let people do their own thing.. not everyone appreciates being told that they're wrong.. atleast not morally.
    Its great that u think enjoying your work is the key, but you cant really force opinions on people can you,..
    i guess all that we can do, is to stick our principles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ shruthi: I know I can't force opinions on people, but there have been times when I wish I could have subtly altered their thoughts, a la Second Foundation citizens (Foundation series, Isaac Asimov).

    Democracy is a bloody twin-edged sword.

    ReplyDelete